Thursday, October 18, 2012

Someone Smarter Than I or Week 8



I confessed to a friend that I'd done so well weaning myself off writing Life in Forsyth that I was having a hard time remembering to write here. I also allowed that classwork planning is taking longer than I thought it would; I generally spend about two hours in the evening preparing for the next day.

And so my sage friend suggested that instead of taxing myself with writing daily I do a weekly post.

AND HERE WE ARE.

This past week our theme was data. We read Mason Dixon: Fourth Grade Disasters. In this book series (this is the second of three), Mason often makes lists of pros and cons, and so we made a graphic organizer of Mason's "pros"/character strengths and "cons"/weaknesses. We talked about how the author giving a character flaws makes the character believable. (I used the word real, but George quickly corrected me that fictional characters are the opposite of real.)

We talked about how pros/cons lists are another way of organizing data, and we worked with tables and bar graphs in math, which are other ways of organizing data.

In science we talked about recording data and how data recorded in science experiments is always in terms of two factors. We read through multiple experiments (we did not perform them) and found which two factors the data would be measured in terms of. George noted that on experiments that span several days, the initial data would be Day 0.

In Humanities we continued to discuss the upcoming holidays. We worked on our Dia de los Muertos cabinet, and George drew a picture of how his Halloween costume should look.  We looked at what we have on hand, and George made a list of supplies we still need to complete the costume.

Please enjoy the above video of George sing-saying The Devil Went Down to Georgia. This was during his uke lesson at Jackson's music, when he announced to Eric Perrotti that this is what he wanted to do next. George is playing one chord over and over; the uke riffs you hear are Eric gamely playing along. I must recommend Eric profusely for ukelele, guitar, bass, and other strummed stringed-instrument lesson needs.

Until next week! (Thanks, D.D.)

No comments: