Monday, September 10, 2012

Worms! (of the book variety) or Day 16


Please enjoy this view of our cat feigning disinterest in our still-quite-alive mouse. To be fair, Hadley (the cat) long ago accepted that we weird humans wanted to keep Dot instead of having her dispatched ASAP. Still, the huntress in her is often tempted, but hysterically enough she will actually look away whenever we catch her staring at Dot, like, "Don't mind me. I'm just daydreaming into the middle distance." Yeah, right.

Non sequitur: I'm lousy and forgot to document Day 15. But... but... but... here's Day 16! (Don't mind me. I'm just daydreaming into the middle distance.)

I'm getting ready to overhaul our daily schedule, which was largely built around George's weaknesses. One of the beautiful things about this homeschooling thing is that it's like the ultimate IEP, and the entire framework is constructed with my two year goals for George in mind.

One of the largest began with chipping away at the whole fiction/"lies" thing. Frankly I didn't expect it to gather this much momentum this fast. I'm caught unawares! Thoroughly enjoyable library fieldtrips notwithstanding, I need to organize the sheer volume of George's fiction reading into some sort of structure beyond a simple "George read 37 books this month" count.

My instinct is to begin small, with a book box, wherein for each book George fills a large notecard with observations and thoughts, then files it alphabetically by author's name. We can add a color dot system (like one sees in doctors' offices) for emerging themes: "humor". "setting: school", etc. Then I can decide where to go from there. This is a stopgap measure, but I like it. It's neat, it's tidy, and it's almost like beginning a birdwatching Life List --- but for novels.

The other thing that may go the way of the dodo is the daily nonfiction read & react, which was frankly in place to slightly compensate George for the horrible lies I would force him to read later in the schedule. I'd rather he used that time strictly for journaling, though I may provide some sort of daily prompt. Maybe just a word.

The daily poem is safe, no worries, because I'd have a mutiny on my hands if I touched it. Speaking of, today's was "The Worm" by Ralph Bergengren.

Math -- also safe. Sorry, George! Today's lesson was on making change, and I'm not sure I like the way it's presented in the textbook. It just seemed illogical for real life, though I got that the authors were tying it into place value.

Tomorrow I've promised George we'll play the making change board game from Chapter 2. Off to make the pieces!

No comments: