Thursday, August 16, 2012

A Visit From the Appliance Repairman or Day 2

(Our kindly repairman was more disappointed by his inability to revive our suddenly dead refrigerator than we were. I genuinely felt bad for him.)

George continues to be enraptured by poetry and chose to spend his journal time writing the beginning of a poem. I'm happily surprised by his enthusiasm; I frankly thought a daily poem was a good way to push his comfort boundaries (he tends toward curmudgeon), and while I suspect we will encounter individual poems he does not like, I'm extremely pleased he is open to poetry as a whole.

He also is doing very well with a 15 minute yoga routine designed to calm, which is how we begin the day. I am not someone who practices, but in researching Tourette syndrome*, yoga came up time and time again as something that could help calm disruptive tics, albeit temporarily. He still tics madly orally when concentrating (especially on a fine motor task), and his twists and gallops are rampant when he's not seated, but otherwise when working he is pretty much tic free.

nonfiction read & react: Native Americans mark birth of rare white bison
fast math: multiplication facts
math unit: Chapter 1, Lesson 1, Houghton Mifflin Math North Carolina, Grade 4
humanities: introduction to Mayan glyphs, including numbers
daily poem: "Early Bird" by Shel Silverstein


* Have a child with a diagnosis and see if you don't turn into a quasi-doctoral candidate studying for the diagnosis boards.

2 comments:

KerriCW said...

Have you considered Ogden Nash? Curmudgeonly in rhyme.

Lucy said...

Ogden Nash was my father's favorite! We read them together all the time when I was little; Daddy had a four volume set I wish I had found among his things.

We will definitely be using some of his poems. I actually have a few good ones printed out for George's poetry journal, but please let me know if you have specific ones you recommend.